2 Nov 2020

Hiring staff from outside the UK and Ireland


From the 1 of January 2021, free movement between the UK and EU will end and the UK will be introducing a points-based immigration system. The new system will introduce job, salary and language requirements that may impact the ability to hire from the EU.

From the 1 of January 2021, if a business wants to recruit workers from outside the UK, businesses will need to ensure four key points are in place:

• Firstly, that they are a Home Office licensed sponsor.

• Secondly, that the job on offer is at the required skill level – RQF 3 or above - A Level or equivalent.

• Thirdly, that the job on offer pays at least the required minimum salary level.

• Fourthly, that the candidate speaks English to the required standard.

If a business is not already a licensed sponsor and they want to sponsor migrants through the skilled worker route from January 2021, they should apply now as an application to become a licensed sponsor usually takes 8 weeks. If successful, the licence will be valid for 4 years.

Businesses can find further information by searching for ‘new immigration system’ on gov.uk.

Hiring EU citizens who already live in the UK

Currently EU citizens have the right to move freely within the EU and the right to reside in any EU Member State. Free movement of workers between the UK and EU will come to an end after the transition period on 1 January 2021 and the UK will be introducing a points based-immigration system.

The points system will not apply to any EU citizens living in the UK before the 31st of December 2020, or their family members. They will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before the 30th June 2021.

Further information is available by searching for ‘EU Settlement Scheme: employer toolkit’ on the GOV.UK website.